I get asked these questions all the time
- How does my hair look like…..?
- What products do you use in your hair?
- What is your go to hair style?
I figure one post could answer these questions in its entirety. Fortunately for me, I have most times lived in the Caribbean, where humidity is my close personal friend. Living in a perpetual Summer cycle, there are few hair styles that I just love and always do. Please note, I have very coarse thick hair, which the Natural Hair community labels as 4C. I do have a mixture of B & C but my C portions are who needs the love and care the most.
You will Need for all these styles
- Wide teeth Comb
- Hair Gel
- Hair Pins
- Hair Brush
- Shea Butter
- Spray Bottle With water
- Knee High stockings or whatever you use to tie your hair back
- Tooth brush for those edges
Most of these looks can be obtained effectively on an old twist-out, braid out or Bantu Knot out
- Spray hair with Conditioning Spray or water
- Use Gel to slick hair to the side and brush
- Swoop your hair to the side ….. then
- Pin and fluff hair to form this look
Super High Buns are so in for the season, it keeps you cool, sleek and trendy. This will be difficult to do with very thick hair if there isn’t some stretching done to your hair. I used a blow dryer on low heat, to get my hair as straight as possible and use a Donut Hair Bun Ring
- On a failed Braid Out or old twist out I sprayed my hair with my conditioner solution in an upwards motion
- Use Gel to slick back your hair and edges
- A knee high stockings /hair tie/ catching device is used to pull hair up towards the top of your head.
- Fluff hair around stocking to hide it
- Use Shea Butter or Shea Butter Mix to moisturise ends.
- Do steps 1-3 in Look 3
- Spray the ends of your hair with conditioning solution and use wide teeth comb to comb as much of the hair that is left out as possible.
- Catch the end of the combed out hair into a loose short ponytail with a rubber band, it will look like a balloon on top of your head
- Use your finger to push the middle of your balloon into your scalp and pin to secure
- The stocking will show, use a small piece of hair to wrap and hide the stockings
- On blown out or stretched hair, Use a TINY BIT of Shea Butter Mix and Gel to make 8- 10 Large Braids in hair, (4-5 on each side) Ensure not to saturate hair with product, if your hair is soaking wet your hair will shrink and it won’t take 10 mins to do this style
- Using the tension method, Blow dry each braid until dried
- Loosen Braids
- Fluff hair with wide teeth comb to shape around face
With 4c or thicker condensed hair, this look is not very easy to achieve without have some stretch and length to your hair
- Part the desired amount of front leave out and braid to keep out of the rest of hair
- Use Gel, Shea Butter and spray bottle to catch the back of hair into a High Puff.
- Loosen the hair at the front
- Use Shea butter, gel and spray bottle solution to saturate hair and enhance curls, other products to enhance curls can be used (you may also do a couple twist and leave in until you’re ready to leave the house)
- On Old Twist/Braid/Bantu Knot Our Brush hair up into one
- Use knee high stocking to secure
- Use wide teeth comb to pull the hair to the front of your hair in the shape of a Pompadour
- Use Shea
- Butter mix and water to control frizz, Gel is optional here, the look should be a bit messy