Most of us, in some way, are all thriving for healthy, long, beautiful Natural Hair, but we are guilty of making these 12 Mistakes That Is Hindering You From Retaining Length. Here is a list of what I think is some of those bad habits we are doing and I must say I am guilty of a few, numbers 6, 10 and 12. YIKES! So brace yourself guys!!!!
- Using tools that are bad for our hair. Finger Detangling is more efficient and successful than most other methods
- Using small teeth combs will more than likely break your hair or pull and snag, don’t use them #fullstop
- When drying your hair it is best not to vigorously rub the towel over your hair, pat dry or use a terry cloth, T-Shirt or even a baby receiving blanket to dry your wet tresses
- When applying heat, it is highly recommended to use a heat protectant. There are affordable ones or you can simply use grapeseed oil which has a higher burning rate than say olive oil
- Not adding a sealing oil/cream to your hair will pretty much defeat the purpose of moisturizing your hair properly. The oil seals the moisture within the strands and prevents it from breaking
- Not protecting your hair at nights. In order to protect from breakage and dryness try sleeping with a satin cap/bonnet all the time. I am very guilty of not doing this
- With the natural hair community, it’s suggested and recommend not to use products that is unhealthy for your hair. This would include products such as Silicone, Alcohols and parabens.
- I am aware we are all striving for the elusive BSL or MBL, however not trimming your ends will cause breakage. If this is done periodically then the need to “cut” of damaged ends will be down to a minor trim. This step is essential for retaining length.
- Yes our ends are FD (forever dry) and it’s only natural to want to seal and protect our ends vigorously, however, don’t just apply products to the end of your hair only, liberally smooth it through from root to tip and give some love to the rest of your hair
- Time. Kids. Life. Money is just a few factors that may cause us not do this step.Do not ever skip your deep conditioning treatment. DC is essential to the life of your natural hair, and your hair loves this extra love. This doesn’t have be a whole afternoon with major products a simple aloe Vera wash or even using your favorite conditioner with some heat will do the trick
- I really can’t see this as being an issue for most of us naturals, unless you have a protective style or plain ran out of moisturizer, however, it’s not advised that you go more than 2 days without moisturizing your hair. I’ve used the LOC Method which has change the relationship between me and my hair for the better. Does matter the products you use so much is more of that a routine and regimen is built.
- Unravelling twists too vigorously. It’s best to take the time, use some oil on your fingers and slowly loosen your twist. Some bloggers/vloggers will say start unravelling from the ends as this will preserve your curls, however for me I find unravelling my twists form the middle very slowly preserves my curls better, that’s because my ends tend to fluff and loosen first. But I always preach to see what’s best for you
Retaining length can be hard work, but set your hair goals and work towards them. Over time it will get easier.